You don't have to let acne affect your confidence!
Positive Skin offers a range of successful acne treatments to leave your skin clear and blemish free. Acne can be effectively treated with Intense Pulsed Light alone or in combination with other clinical treatments. Intense Pulsed Light treatments greatly reduce the number and severity of active lesions, lessening the inflammation and frequency of break-outs.
Positive Skin have received in-depth, comprehensive training, covering the key fundamentals of laser & IPL, and most importantly: how to achieve highly clinically effective results, whist keeping our clients safety as the primary objective.
what causes acne?
The presence of acne is often influenced by the following factors:
Influence 1: Hormones
• For the majority of acne sufferers, outbreaks begin at puberty because the body begins to produce hormones called androgens. These hormones cause the sebaceous glands to enlarge, which is a natural part of the body's development but for acne sufferers these glands are over stimulated. Androgens are also responsible for acne flare-ups associated with the menstrual cycle and, on occasion, pregnancy.
Influence 2: Oily Skin
• When the sebaceous gland is stimulated by androgens, it produces extra sebum (oil). Sebum mixes with common skin bacteria and dead skin cells that have been shed from the lining of the follicle. While this process is normal, the presence of extra sebum in the follicle increases the chances of clogging and can cause acne. Stress levels have also affected sebum production and can increase severity of acne.
Influence 3: Bacteria
• The bacterium Propionibacterium acnes, (P. acnes for short) is present on all skins and is part of the skin’s natural sebum maintenance system. Once a follicle is plugged, P. acnes bacteria multiply rapidly, creating the chemical reaction we know as inflammation in the follicle and surrounding skin.
Influence 4: Inflammation
• When you are exposed to unwanted bacteria your immune system sends in an army of white blood cells to attack. This is why pimples can be red, swollen and painful. The inflammatory response is different for everyone, but studies have shown that it is especially strong in adult women. Fortunately, you have options! There are many kinds of acne treatments available. Like you, acne is highly individual and response to treatments does vary from person to person. Often several treatments are recommended in combination. We offer an extensive range of acne treatments and will advise on the most suitable procedure for you and your skin.
Rosacea or Thread Veins
Facial thread veins or broken red veins (telangiectasia) are small unsightly superficial red, purple or blue veins that occur around the nose and across the cheeks and chin. These broken veins occur when the vein dilates and become larger so they are visible through the transparency of the skin. Although facial veins / spider veins are very common, they can cause some distress and embarrassment for those of us who have them.
Facial veins may be hereditary or as a result of a variety of factors including damage from sun exposure, wind and the extremes of temperature. The over use of steroid creams and certain auto immune conditions may also induce thread veins. Often the exact cause is unknown and may just be part of the natural ageing process or as a part of a skin condition called rosacea.
Facial vessels are effectively treated with Intense Pulse Light (IPL) or laser with minimal downtime or risk in just a few quick, easy treatments.
Treatment is suitable for you if you want to:
• Reduce overall facial redness and reduce blushing
• Be rid of embarrassing broken veins or red spots
• Have clearer, brighter, fresher looking skin
Suitable for face, neck and chest
Pigmented lesions such as age spots or freckles can be successfully lightened or removed with our LUMINA IPL.
All of these treatments are non-invasive, suitable for both the face and body and will result in a more even skin tone.
Sun spots, liver spots, freckles and other unwanted pigmentation are often associated with skin ageing and over exposure to the sun or sunbeds.
From the age of about 40 the skin is less able to regenerate from sun exposure and age spots start to appear. Generally these age spots pose no health risk, however they can be unsightly and create a patchy, less youthful appearance. Freckling and age spots are successfully lightened or removed with Intense Pulse Light.
Before your treatment can commence, we'll have a thorough consultation together, in which your medical history is taken to confirm suitability for your treatment and your chance for any questions that you may have to be answered. Before your treatment begins you must also provide written consent and a small test patch will be carried out, for your safety.